There is no season quite like the holiday season — spending time with those you love, indulging in family recipes and freshly baked sweets, hosting holiday soirees, enjoying crisp white snow that dusts the pine trees... the list goes on.
For many, the holiday season is also an opportunity to live their values and show their appreciation and gratitude for their blessings by giving back to their communities. Not only is giving back beneficial to our society as a whole, but it can also add a sense of purpose to our lives and enhance our overall sense of fulfillment.
When it comes to giving back, there is no one-size-fits-all cookie-cutter approach — the options are as unique as the individual. To get you started, here are some ideas from the Triada team.
Perhaps the most obvious way to give back, lend a hand, and show your support is by donating money to a charity or a cause that is important to you. Organizations need money to continue their efforts, just as individuals need money to obtain food, shelter, and other basic necessities. Big or small, here are some ways that you can donate to those in need.
- Instead of giving a friend or family member a physical gift, consider making a donation to a charitable organization in their name.
- Give your pocket change to the Salvation Army each time you pass a red kettle.
- Purchase canned goods and other non-perishable items to donate to a local food drive.
- Incorporate charitable giving into your overall financial plan by setting up a charitable trust or a donor-advised fund.
- Purchase children's gifts like toys and books or household necessities like clothing and kitchenware for families in need.
- If you have saved up frequent flier miles, considering donating them to a charitable organization like the Make-A-Wish Foundation's Wishes in Flight® Program.
The Gift of Time
While donating money or resources to charity is a wonderful way to make a difference, not everyone has the means to make fiscal gifts, and that's okay. Donating your time is an equally wonderful way to give back, especially around the holidays. One thing we love about this option is it's a great way to get the whole family involved! Here are a few ideas for spending time meaningfully.
- Spend an afternoon as a family at a local food kitchen preparing meals for those in need.
- Volunteer to ring bells and collect money for the Salvation Army.
- Is there a nursing home or assisted living facility in your neighborhood? Spend some quality time with those who don't have family in the area.
- Volunteer to wrap gifts at the local children's hospital.
- Bring lunches to those who have to work on the holidays.
Share Your Talent
One especially meaningful way to give back is by sharing your talent. No, we don't mean signing up for a community talent show, (although that could be fun too!) but rather using your professional talent to lend a helping hand where you're needed.
- If you're a lawyer, consider taking on pro-bono work or providing legal advice free of charge to those in need.
- If you speak a foreign language, volunteer as an interpreter or a translator for a non-profit organization in need.
- If you're a retired nurse, spend some time helping out at a clinic.
- Are you especially talented at planning events? Put together a coat drive or organize some kind of a food pantry.
No matter how you choose to give back this holiday season, your Triada team thanks you. Your efforts help to positively impact our communities and do not go unnoticed. If your goals include incorporating charitable giving into your big-picture financial plan, wed' love to continue the conversation. Our door is always open. Schedule a meeting with a member of our team today!